5.01.2011

10 Things being the mother of a Special Needs Child has taught me

What's so different about parenting a special needs child anyways??? As parents we all grow and learn and become stronger more amazing people because of our children and the love we bear for them. But I think the difference is that with any child, parents guide and mold who they become. With special needs children - as parents we must be ready and willing to be taught...

1. Being the mother of a special needs child has taught me patience with everything is a must. A quality that at times can be taken for granted with a healthy child…

2. Being the mother of a special needs child has taught me I do have courage to face anything. It’s okay that sometimes I need to cry, to walk away just so I can breathe for a moment. And then I am back stronger than ever…

3. Being the mother of a special needs child has taught me to be understanding of those less fortunate, or different from you, never be quick to judge...

4. Being the mother of a special needs child has taught me that while yes, there are many moments of struggles those single moments of accomplishment are so much sweeter...

5. Being the mother of a special needs child has taught me that I do know what is best for my child. Even if I have to fight the school, the doctor, other parents, the insurance company, friends, politicians…

6. Being the mother of a special needs child has taught me that hope, even the smallest glimmer of hope can be enough to get you through the day…

7. Being the mother of a special needs child has taught me that the world is exciting, beautiful and that even the smallest of things is new and wonderful. To see life through a child's eyes is special, but through a special needs child's eyes is magical...

8. Being the mother of a special needs child has taught me unconditional love which I know comes from the fact that I was chosen by Heavenly Father to be blessed with this beautiful child, for many may never know such a blessing and I can’t imagine my life without her…

9. Being the mother of a special needs child has taught me that I am stronger than I thought I could be. That I am a neurologist, a nurse, a professional fundraiser, a housekeeper, a manager, a special educator, a researcher and an advocate all bundled up into the mother you can all plainly see…

10. Being the mother of a special needs child has taught me the greatest lesson in my life. I may be many things in the eyes of others but here at home I am the mother of a special needs child and this child loves me unconditionally and teaches me so much…that is what defines me, what makes me whole and loving and open to the infinite possibilities of the world…


No comments: